How it works:
- The client receives a phone call.
- The caller ID shows the number belongs to the attorney (Scammer uses “Caller ID Spoofing”)
- The client is told that they need to pay additional money
- The client is given a toll-free number to call (1-800 Number)
- When the client calls, they are directed as to how to pay the money
The scammers have linked the attorney with the client through publicly available court documents. If you receive a call directing you to call a toll-free number call your attorney’s office right away.